A drone strike caused a fire at an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said it had been informed by the United Arab Emirates that radiation levels at the Nuclear Power Plant remained normal after a drone strike caused a fire in an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner perimeter.

The IAEA said no injuries were reported and emergency diesel generators were supplying power to Unit 3 of the plant following the incident. The agency added it was in constant contact with UAE authorities and stood ready to provide assistance if needed.

IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi expressed “grave concern” over the incident and said military activity threatening nuclear safety was unacceptable, reiterating calls for maximum restraint near nuclear power plants to avoid the risk of a nuclear accident.

The UAE’s Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation said the fire did not affect the safety of the plant or the readiness of its essential systems, adding that all units were operating normally. Officials urged the public to rely on official sources for information and avoid spreading rumours.

UAE Condemns Drone Attack

The United Arab Emirates has strongly condemned what it described as an “unprovoked terrorist attack” targeting an electricity generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra region.

In a statement issued by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, authorities said the attack was carried out by a drone that entered the country’s territory from the western border direction. The ministry confirmed that the incident caused no injuries and had no impact on radiation safety levels.

The UAE described the attack as a dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression, and a direct threat to the country’s security. The ministry stressed that targeting peaceful nuclear energy facilities is a “flagrant violation” of international law, the UN Charter, and humanitarian principles due to the serious risks such actions pose to civilians, the environment, and regional and international security.

The statement further emphasized that international standards and agreements, including resolutions of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), highlight the need to protect peaceful nuclear facilities from hostile acts or military threats.

The UAE also said it “will not tolerate any threat to its security and sovereignty under any circumstances,” adding that it reserves the right to respond through legitimate diplomatic and military measures in accordance with international law.

The ministry additionally called for an immediate halt to attacks targeting civilian and vital infrastructure and urged full compliance with the cessation of hostilities.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *